Friday, November 12, 2010

Better late than never

So, I am finally (2.5 months later) getting around to posting Isaac's birth story.

On August 24th, 2010 I had my 39 week appointment with my OB. He checked me and said I was 3-4cm and 80% effaced. Everything was looking good and I made an appointment for the following week.
At about 6pm that evening, Mike and Diane arrived from Twin Falls and we all headed to county fair. Mike and Diane were planning on going to see the Dooby Brothers at the fair while Aaron, Eva, and I saw the dinosaur exhibit and rode rides. When we all go to the fair, we headed to the dinosaur exhibit for a little while and then Mike and Diane got in line for the Dooby Brothers. After spending a little more time at the dinosaur exhibit, Aaron, Eva, and I went to get something to eat. Diane ended up not getting into the concert because she left the line to get something to eat and by the time she got back, Mike had already gone in and they would not let her in even though he was saving her seat. Luckily, Aaron checked his phone and saw that she had called and we met up with her by the covered seated area and we all ate something and then took Eva one some rides while Mike was at the concert.
I started having contractions at about 7:30pm and Aaron took out his Droid and starting timing them with They were about 3 minutes apart and were lasting about a minute each. By the time we all got ready to leave the fair at about 8:40pm I was having to concentrate pretty hard during contractions. I had to slow down in order to walk and talk while I was having a contraction.
We decided to go straight home and get our bag packed and have Mike and Diane put Eva to bed and we would head to the hospital. I was started to say "I don't know if I can do this" and so Aaron knew we were getting close to baby's arrival. Mike and Diane (who were in a separate vehicle) wanted to go get some food at Jack-in-the-Box first since Mike hadn't had dinner but luckily Aaron told them they needed to come by the house first so Mike dropped Diane off at our house so she could put Eva to bed and then he went to go get food. After a 40+ minute drive home, 30+ minutes of getting the bag packed and getting Aaron's parents settled in and a 20 minute drive to the hospital, we arrived at the hospital at about 10:30pm.
As we walked down the hallway, I had to stop when I had a contraction and kind of rock and concentrate to get through it. Aaron hurried ahead and let them know we were here. A nurse came out into the hallway and said "Just making sure you're not having the baby out here in the hallway" and helped me to our room. They had me change into a gown and were going about things really leisurely until they checked me and saw that I was 8-9cm dilated. They immediately called the on call doctor and when she came in she checked me she asked if it was ok for her to break my water. I agreed and so she broke my water and then told me I was complete and could push whenever I was ready. I was feeling the need to push and so I got ready to start pushing. I remembered how hard the pushing stage was with Eva and I was dreading it. I said out loud, "I'm not ready for this." But then my body took over and started pushing. I couldn't stop if I wanted to. I kind of yelled "I don't want to do this" and the doctor told me I could stop and take a break if I wanted but my body wouldn't stop pushing and I yelled, "I can't." After 2 minutes of pushing, Isaac was born at 11:04pm. They placed him immediately on my stomach and dried him off and put a blanket over him. He was so beautiful. They got ready to cut the cord but I told them that we wanted to wait to cut the cord so they did. When we were ready to cut the cord, Aaron cut it. Since everything happened so quickly and we had the on call doctor that we had never met before, Aaron was great about letting the nurses and doctor know what our birth preferences were and everything happened just how we wanted. Since the pushing stage was so short, Isaac had a lot of fluid in his lungs and was coughing up a lot of fluid at first. Other than that, he was absolutely perfect at 8lbs, 7oz., 20 inches long and a head full of dark hair. Grandma and Papa Faulhaber and Nana Hutchings came in to meet him and the next morning Papa Hutchings and big sister Eva got to meet him. And around midnight on August 25 we brought our baby boy home.

1 comment:

*Melissa* said...

Congrats mama!!! You did great :) God is so good!